You’ve all seen them. Reusable market bags seem to be everywhere these days. Every time I am standing in line at a checkout counter, there they are – reusable bags emblazened with the label of the particular chain store.
I met a woman this past weekend that has a reusable market bag in every color to ensure that her bag matches the outfit she happens to have on that day. Hmmmm…something just doesn’t seem right about that. Does it? But truth be told, if you were to bring all of your weekly groceries home in reusable bags, you would need at least 10 bags or so. And that is an extra $20-30 spent just on market bags.
But for DIY’ers out there, you can reuse old t-shirts to make your own market bags for almost nothing!
No need to buy market bags to take to the local farmers’ market. Just repurpose some old t-shirts and you’ll be shopping in green style in a flash. Here’s how you do it.
Super Simple Market Bag
- A Sewing Machine
- T-shirts still in good shape
- Turn your t-shirt inside out and lay it on a flat surface.
- Cut off the sleeves as shown in the photo above.
- Using the front neckline, cut around the neckline to make the back match the front.
- Pin the bottom edges together.
- Sew the bottom of your t-shirt closed and remove the pins.
- Turn your t-shirt right side in.
It’s not a t-shirt any longer, but a stylish and super green market bag. Happy shopping!
Other DIY Market Bag Resources:
Just in case you are really ambitious and want to spend a bit more time on making your bags, here are a few other great tutorials to check out.
If you make some of these bags, please comment with a link below. We’d love to see your take on our market bag!