It’s time for our annual 20 Questions! We re-release it here every New Year’s Eve, and I love hearing how you all use it. After tweaking and adjusting this list for several years, we’ve finally settled on a good master list of solid questions to help you reflect on the previous twelve months.
As you end this new year and move on to the next, take some time to review, to contemplate, to meditate. Post-eggnog, it’s easy to speed forward with gusto and juice-cleanse your system from all the holiday indulgence. I’m a future-oriented thinker, so I love new year planning, goal-setting, and getting excited about the next twelve months.
But ease your foot onto the brake just for a few days. Give yourself the space and freedom to reflect on the past year.
I’m all for starting a fresh new year, dreaming big, finding that one special word, or whatever helps you clean out the cobwebs in the corners. But all this is much more meaningful when you remember the bends in the road behind you.
Honor the past year by celebrating your joys, mourning your losses, and shaking your head at the wonder of it all. Isn’t it amazing another year has passed? And so the earth goes round and round, about to orbit once more.
Whether you’re headed to a party or headed to the living room with a bowl of popcorn, New Year’s Eve is a great day for reflection. A whole year has passed since the last one. You’re a year older. Are you a year wiser?
Use these next 48 hours to reflect on the past 365 days.
20 questions for New Year’s Eve
- What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
- What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
- What was an unexpected joy this past year?
- What was an unexpected obstacle?
- Pick three words to describe this past year.
- Pick three words your partner would use to describe your year—don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you.
- Pick three words your partner would use to describe their year—again, without asking.
- What were the best books you read this year?
- Who were your most valuable relationships with?
- What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
- In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
- In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
- In what way(s) did you grow physically?
- In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
- What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
- What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
- What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
- What was the best way you used your time this past year?
- What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
- Create a phrase or statement that describes this past year for you.
Want to journal through these questions alone? Grab a cup of coffee and a pen, and use the space provided in the free download. Or, write your answers in your own journal (that’s what I do).
Want to chat over the answers with your family or friends? Use the last page of the download to cut each question into squares, then toss them in a jar to draw, one at a time.
Questions for Kids!
Do your kids want questions of their own? Pass this along to them for a personal reflection exercise, or cut up the questions, toss them in a jar, and pull them out to answer as a family.
12 Months From Now…
My favorite resource is our free guide to plan for the new year, divided into five categories: Inward Health, Physical Health, Financial Health, Family Health, Relational Health, and Your Children’s Health.
I’ve been working through it all week, and it’s clarified so much of my vision for this next year. I’m stoked.
I’d love to give you a free copy of 12 Months From Now! To get it, simply add your email here, and I’ll send it to your inbox:
You’ll also get the AoS short weekend email and my monthly personal email (if you don’t already)—you can unsubscribe from these at any time, no worries. (But I think you’ll like them.)
My favorite thing about AoS is our community—this likeminded bunch of you that loves sane simplifying. I’ve been working on an idea to harness all our collective wisdom for good, and I’m creating a space for all of us to really make legit headway with goals and habits this year…. together.
Sound good to you? I know it does to me! I’ll keep you posted via email, so when you grab your free 12 Months From Now guide, make sure my emails to you stay in your inbox so you’ll see my announcement when it’s ready.
Enjoy your New Year celebrations, friends! We’ll be living it up big-time in our living room with games, movies, and a ball-drop countdown for whoever’s still awake. I can’t wait! I’ll see you here in the new year.