Well, Tsh and her family are busy traipsing around Africa this week, but they’re having a hard time finding decent internet access (or much access at all), so this weekend’s edition of Cuppa Reads is brought to you by Katie Fox, ye olde managing editor of the Art of Simple.
I live in central Texas, where the cedar pollen is out of control this time of year. I once mentioned this to my sister, who lived in Minnesota at the time, and she was dumbfounded that “pollen” and “January” could even co-exist together in the same sentence. But it’s true, and I’m deathly allergic to it. So I’ve spent most of the week curled up in bed with my neti pot and tissues, perusing the interwebs to find lovely links for you, dear readers. I hope you enjoy!
• I was curiously pleased to discover that among Tolstoy’s secrets for a happy life, he included a mastery of the art of simple living. That really makes me want to read more Tolstoy.
• If you’re not following Humans of New York, you may have missed that he raised a literal million dollars for a Brooklyn school. This story is incredible – if you’re struggling with faith in humankind, this should bolster your spirits considerably.
• Still facing weeks and weeks of winter? I love Modern Mrs. Darcy’s survival strategies for winter; they’re simple tips, full of common sense.
• You may have already seen this making the rounds on Facebook, but this woman’s photographs of the oldest trees in the world are truly breathtaking. It looks like this is just a small preview from her newly released book.
• For those Parenthood fans out there (and I know there are many of you!), you’ll love this recap of 19 perfectly emotional Parenthood moments. Get your tissues ready.
• On a serious note, this past week was the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. I visited there multiple times while living in Poland in my twenties, and it is one of the saddest, darkest things I’ve ever seen. Here are 9 things you should know about Auschwitz and Nazi extermination camps. And this footage taken by a BBC drone over Auschwitz today is, indeed, beautiful yet haunting.
• Just for the pure fun of it, get prepared to be wowed by these two tiny Colombian kiddos who can dance the salsa like nobody’s business. Seriously – do they give lessons?
• And finally, Tsh shares her thoughts (and includes links) about her family’s time in Queensland, Australia.
Happy weekend to you all!