22 Things Every Woman Needs
In my research as a personal journaling author, I’ve observed a prevalent trend: the happiest people—the folks with the deepest sense of self-love and purpose—always recognize everyday loveliness.
It doesn't matter how complicated their lives get, they usually weave time in their day to notice the simple pleasures.
Here's a list of 22 little things every woman can use in her life. Do we need all of them all the time? Of course not. But skim through this list and see if there are things you could add or adjust. Or, you could celebrate the little victories in your life (a bra that fits well!)—by consciously noticing details, we'll find gratitude for what we already have.
22 things every woman needs
1. A secret spot in the house for chocolate.
2. A bra that fits.
3. A sharp pair of scissors, also kept in a secret spot so they never vanish or get dulled when you most need them.
4. A favorite nonprofit to give time or money.
5. A small but great collection of stationery—plain note cards, sympathy cards, birthday cards, postcards, extra envelopes, and stamps.
6. A favorite signature pen.
7. A little confidence-boosting lipgloss, nail polish, or necklace.
8. A movie you’ve seen so many times you can quote verbatim.
9. A really good kitchen knife. (In As Always, Julia, Julia Child wrote it’s everything a woman needs).
11. A dress you love.
12. A cute (and current!) photograph of you.
13. A good journal.
14. A favorite morning drink with a favorite mug that is only yours.
15. A friend you can call and a friend who knows she can call you.
16. A fun knicknack, quote, comic, or postcard taped behind the cupboard door or in the pantry.
17. A hardback copy of a favorite book.
18. A go-to restaurant or easy meal when you just need a break from the kitchen.
19. Fresh flowers—in the house or somewhere along your commute outside.
20. A pay-it-forward moment, like buying a stranger coffee, leaving cash in your neighbor’s mailbox, or giving a bag of groceries to the food pantry on the way home.
21. Comfortable shoes that never give you blisters.
22. A few minutes to yourself.
You May Also Like:
Get the weekly email called 5 Quick Things,
where Tsh shares stuff she either created herself or loved from others. (It can be read in under a minute, pinky-swear.)
You’ll also get an excerpt from her latest book, At Home in the World, a memoir about the school year her family backpacked around the world.