Traveling soon? Download the new, free Family Road Trip Packing List
This Thursday, my family and I head out on a three-week road trip. We’ve traveled a lot, both cross-country and worldwide, in a variety of cultures and climates. And I’m amazed that each time, our packing list is more or less the same.
I’m a huge believer in packing light and not bringing the house in order to leave it. But isn’t it amazing how much the little people in our lives need? And I’m talking about the things they actually need, because if it were up to my five-year-old, we’d bring every stuffed animal and Lego block we own.
You don’t need much, but you do need to pack smart. And a list really helps, in my opinion.
Several of you have asked for a master packing list, and it’s been awhile since I made a new downloadable checklist for your home management notebook, so here you go — our packing list.
Keep in mind that this is a master list, created for a trip at least seven days long. You’ll probably need to cross off or add your own things. Oh, and I realize I should have added this earlier in the summer, before the height of the family traveling season. But you know, baby and all.
Here are some other things I’ve written about traveling with kids:
- How to Travel Long Distances with Little Ones (and not go insane)
- 13 Tips for Packing Light for Small Children
- Prepare to be a Guest in Someone Else’s Home
- Hosting Overnight Guests: 10 Easy Tips to Help Your Visitors Feel Welcome
And from Simple Mom contributors:
- 8 Tips for Stress-Free Camping
- 7 Ideas for Screen-Free Travel with the Kids
- Make Your Home Cozy and Welcoming for Guests
- Traveling During the Holidays? 10 Tips for Making it Easier with Kids
What’s the one essential item you bring for yourself on a road trip?
Get the weekly email called
5 Quick Things,
where Tsh shares stuff she either created herself or loved from others.
(It can be read in under a minute, pinky-swear.)