Bonus: An Announcement!
So yeah… this is news! You might find this to be a big deal, or you may listen to this short episode, shrug your shoulders, and not give it a second thought. I get it. I often feel that way when people make Very Important Announcements about their work, giving this vibe that they think their work is more significant than it is.
I realize that sharing with you my little lane change here isn’t going to change the course of human history. In fact, in changing lanes I’m basically still driving on the same road, heading in the same direction. My point of view is just ever-so-slightly different.
But if you’ll indulge me for just a paragraph or two… It feels like a big deal over in our household. I’ve been creating some iteration of this same podcast since 2011 when podcasts were a thing but not well known by the general population. In every presentation, it’s had the word “simple” in its title. Even when the name of this website changed to The Art of Simple, even when I broadened my scope beyond the was-once-unique-but-is-now-ubiquitous niche of “simple living,” I stuck with it, hoping that listeners would come along for the ride with whatever the show published.
By and large, this happened. And it’s been great. Which is why I’m choosing to end the show now, when things are good. As I mention in this episode, I’m winding down Simple simply because we’ve said all we need to say as a podcast with the topics we cover. I’d rather end a thing well rather than peter out. The show is good and I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished here.
I’m ready to explore a new side of things. Yes, I could simply reposition this show to explore other things, but I don’t feel it’s right. It’s not right for listeners who want a show that explores simplicity, and it’s not right for what’s next on my creative plate. It’s like trying to make an outfit you bought 15 years ago for a wedding fit your current style, body, and for backpacking through remote villages.
The Good List is my new podcast, and it’ll start in January 2020. And yep, it’s based on our most popular episodes here on Simple.
Weekly episodes will be shorter and will typically cover one category from our list of art, habits, things, and ideas (simplifying this last category from ‘philosophy’). It’ll be like having a drink at a cafe with your girlfriend, and she shares that one tidbit that’s so great, you have to write it down so you don’t forget.
Episodes will often be just me, but I’ll occasionally chat with a friend so they can share the little discoveries they’re making in their own life. This show is for people who want to remember that, even though it can feel otherwise, there are lots of great things in life. We can love our work, our friends and family, and the many good things in our lives — and continue to do better for the collective common good.
The Good List will start after a short break for the holidays, and I hope you’re excited about it. I am! Here’s what I’d love you to do:
1. Head here and drop your email to add your name to the early bird list, where you’ll be one of the first to find out when the first episode of The Good List drops. I don’t want you to miss it, so I’ll send you what you need to listen to the first few episodes and to subscribe to the show.
2. I’d love you to leave me a voicemail telling me about one thing on your good list, because I want to potentially feature you. It can be any thing, a habit, a work of art, or an idea that’s making your life a little better right now. The number is (401) 684-GOOD, and it goes straight to voicemail so you won’t have to talk to a live person, promise. (Head here for details on how to send a voice recording if you’re international.)
If I think The Good List listeners will like what you have to say, I’ll feature you on the show! I love the thought of you, my Simple listeners, playing a role on this new podcast.
As we wind down Simple in the next few weeks, and in the spirit of this week’s focus: thank you. Thank you for the many, many years of listening, interacting with, and sharing the show. It means the world to me, and I love moving forward with you.
Links From This Episode:
- Tsh on Twitter & Instagram
- NEW: The Good List Podcast
- Head here for details on how to leave a recorded voicemail about what’s on YOUR good list
- Shadow + Light – enjoy the first week of Tsh’s new Advent book a whole year early!
- If you’re an insider, you already knew this bit of news almost two weeks ago — so join them in Tsh’s insider community called Books & Crannies.
- Sign up for 5 Quick Things, the weekly email
- For any links and codes from our lovely sponsors, head here
- Download the transcript for this episode