Ep. 59: Silence + The Road Back to You
Time for a books episode, where we each talk about a book we recently read and recommend. In this conversation, Haley and I dive in to a novel from the 1960s that’s recently seen a resurgence, and a brand-new work of nonfiction.
Haley talks about Shusaku Endo’s Silence, a based-on-true-facts story which has recently been made into a movie by Martin Scorsese, and she relays a bit of history none of us knew much about until this story released. I talk about The Road Back to You by Ian Cron and Suzanne Stabile, a new book taking an approachable position to the Enneagram, an ancient personality profiling process, and a dive a little into what the Enneagram has personality meant for me the past few years.
We get into a tiny bit of theology, particularly in one way Protestants and Catholics differ, and we explore the idea of suffering, and how easy it is for us as a culture to say things like, “Oh, of course I would do the right thing” in a challenging setting—but would we? And what is the right thing when it’s unclear?
Links for this episode:
- Haley’s blog, Carrots for Michelmas
- Haley’s podcast, Fountains of Carrots
- Haley on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Tsh on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Silence, by Shusaku Endo
- Christian art and suffering
- Andrew Garfield didn’t expect to fall in love with Jesus
- The Road Back to You, by Ian Cron and Suzanne Stabile
- The Road Back to You podcast
- The Liturgists podcast
- The Enneagram on The Liturgists, with Cron and Stabile
- A 101 on the Enneagram
- A brief description of the nine Enneagram types
- The Simple Show vault—episode 6 is about the Enneagram with Leigh Kramer
- The La La Land soundtrack
- Daniela Andrade (and her cover of La Vie en Rose)
Big thanks to this episode’s sponsor, Aaptiv, a fitness app that’s like Netflix for your body! To join me in giving it a try this year, they’re giving you guys 30 days free when you sign up—head here, and use the code theartofsimple.
Share This Episode:
Become a Patron!
When you do, you'll also get Tsh's secret weekly show on how to explore the world without leaving your house.
Get the Weekly Email
Tsh will send you her short email, 5 Quick Things, so you'll know whenever a new episode drops (it can be read in under a minute, pinky-swear):