Ep. 26: Everyday Spiritual Practices
If you’re like me, sometimes you’re overwhelmed at the thought of incorporating helpful, realistic spiritual practices into my everyday life. That’s why, if you’re like me, you’re grateful for friends like Katherine.
Katherine Willis Pershey is a writer here for AoS and a pastor. She’s also a mom to two little kids, so she personally knows the challenge of incorporating daily spiritual practices into life. I love that while she’s a smart cookie, she’s also very much a normal person who gets real life.
In this podcast episode, we talk about things like Lectio Divina, Examen, praying with color (yep, that’s a thing), meeting with spiritual directors, why the simple act of reading is a spiritual practice, and why we need to celebrate truth and beauty equally.
Our chat isn’t heady at all—we do our best to cut through the Christianese and talk about what spiritual practices look like for us normal people.
Oh, and also—I’m a Christian, and while I know many listeners aren’t (and I’m so glad you’re here), I think even people who don’t necessarily prescribe to my faith perspective can still glean wisdom out of this conversation, so don’t hang up the phone just yet.
It’s a good one!
Listen in here:
Links from this episode:
- Katherine’s Blog
- Katherine’s forthcoming book: Very Married
- Katherine on Twitter
- Lectio Divina on AoS
- Found by Micha Boyett
- Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas
- Praying in Color by Sybil MacBeth
- Eat This Book by Eugene Peterson
- Pray as You Go app
- The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
- The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy, and Women’s Work by Kathleen Norris
- Sabbath in the Suburbs by MaryAnn McKibben-Dana
- Daily Examen on AoS
- Modest Coffee
- Katherine’s favorite thing: A finished bathroom!
- Tsh’s favorite thing: Bodum French Press tumbler
- Tsh on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
Got an idea for a Simple Show episode? Head here!
Share This Episode:
Become a Patron!
When you do, you'll also get Tsh's secret weekly show on how to explore the world without leaving your house.
Get the Weekly Email
Tsh will send you her short email, 5 Quick Things, so you'll know whenever a new episode drops (it can be read in under a minute, pinky-swear):