Ep. 20: Better Than Before
Why does it seem easier for some people to make new habits than others? Maybe it’s not so much that it’s easier for them—maybe they’re just forming a new habit in a way that works best for them. The deluge of conflicting information out there on how to make new habits (and break old ones) can only mean one thing: there’s no one right answer in how to best do it.
Gretchen Rubin loves studying this sort of stuff, so in this episode of The Simple Show, she and I talk all about habits. Her research led her to this idea that we can each fall in to one of four tendencies—upholders, questioners, obligers, and rebels—and knowing which one you are is monumentally helpful in habit forming.
She’s well-known for her bestselling book The Happiness Project, and her newest book, Better Than Before: What I Learned About Making and Breaking Habits–to Sleep More, Quit Sugar, Procrastinate Less, and Generally Build a Happier Life is now available in paperback.
This is a fantastic chat about why we do what we do, and how we best become the best version of ourselves. We could have talked for hours!
Listen in here:
(If you’re reading this via email, head here to listen to the episode.)
Links from this episode:
- Gretchen’s blog
- Gretchen’s podcast, Happier with Gretchen Rubin
- Gretchen’s books: The Happiness Project, Happier at Home, and Better Than Before
- Connect with Gretchen online: on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- The 4 Tendencies Quiz (I’m a Questioner—what are you? Tell me in the comments below.)
- Tsh’s favorite online Myers-Briggs personality test
- Scroll to Episode 6 of The Simple Show, where Tsh talks to Leigh Kramer about the Enneagram
- Upstream Field Guide, Tsh’s self-paced e-course to help you better understand who you are
- Gretchen’s happy thing: podcasts!
- Tsh’s happy thing: The Great British Baking Show
…And don’t forget to try out ePantry, a fantastic little service to help simplify your life—have the routine things you use at home sent right to your door.
Become a Patron!
When you do, you'll also get Tsh's patron-only show, The WRLD at Home.
Never miss an episode!
Get the weekly email,
5 Quick Things:
You'll always know when new episodes drop.
(It can be read in under a minute.)