Ep. 14: Two Hours a Day
Ever wanted to get a peek in to the children’s book publishing world? You’re in luck, because this episode of The Simple Show is for you. I talk to Caroline Starr Rose, a long-time loyal reader of The Art of Simple who also happens to be a children’s book author. I’ve wanted to have her on the show for years, so it was a thrill for me to finally snag her for a chat. Pour yourself a cup and listen in on the wonderful world of kiddie lit.
A native of New Mexico, Caroline’s got an encouraging back story, because she wrote three whole novels before her fourth was picked up by a publisher. It was twelve long years, but she said it was worth the wait. She’s still doing the work and making it happen, one book at a time. And she’s got a great perspective on those ubiquitous rejection letters.
(If you’re reading this via email, head here to listen to the episode.)
Notes from this episode:
- Caroline’s blog
- Caroline’s books: May B, Blue Birds, and Over in the Wetlands
- Jamie Martin, our mutual friend (and the editor of Simple Homeschool!)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the Little House series
- Gary Paulsen, author of Hatchet
- The Deepest Gift, by Marion Dane Bauer
- The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators—and here’s a recent video from them:
For any links and codes from our lovely sponsors, head here!