Ep. 14: Two Hours a Day
Ever wanted to get a peek in to the children’s book publishing world? You’re in luck, because this episode of The Simple Show is for you. I talk to Caroline Starr Rose, a long-time loyal reader of The Art of Simple who also happens to be a children’s book author. I’ve wanted to have her on the show for years, so it was a thrill for me to finally snag her for a chat. Pour yourself a cup and listen in on the wonderful world of kiddie lit.
A native of New Mexico, Caroline’s got an encouraging back story, because she wrote three whole novels before her fourth was picked up by a publisher. It was twelve long years, but she said it was worth the wait. She’s still doing the work and making it happen, one book at a time. And she’s got a great perspective on those ubiquitous rejection letters.
(If you’re reading this via email, head here to listen to the episode.)
Notes from this episode:
- Caroline’s blog
- Caroline’s books: May B, Blue Birds, and Over in the Wetlands
- Jamie Martin, our mutual friend (and the editor of Simple Homeschool!)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder, author of the Little House series
- Gary Paulsen, author of Hatchet
- The Deepest Gift, by Marion Dane Bauer
- The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators—and here’s a recent video from them:
For any links and codes from our lovely sponsors, head here!
Share This Episode:
Become a Patron!
When you do, you'll also get Tsh's secret weekly show on how to explore the world without leaving your house.
Get the Weekly Email
Tsh will send you her short email, 5 Quick Things, so you'll know whenever a new episode drops (it can be read in under a minute, pinky-swear):