Ep. 131: Grown-Upping the Summer (2/4)
Continuing our series on grown-upping the summer, this time Kendra and I talk about work. Because sure, it’s summer, but also, we’re adults with jobs and stuff.
As self-employed types, we talk about how we get work done with kids in the house — hers are a bit younger, so she shares juggling toddlers and young school-age kiddos, while my oldest is now 13 and I can attest: it makes allllll the difference now in my own work life.
Basically, what I’m saying to the working parents with tinies at home is: before you know it, it most likely will get easier. I’ve been exactly where you are and thought it’d never happen.
It’s still a challenge for me, though, so I share how expectations make or break me when it comes to getting work done in the summer. Plus, there’s a newer pressure I didn’t feel a few years ago when everyone was smaller:
I’ll blink, and kids will start leaving the house. So family-bonded summers actually feel more important than ever right now.
Links From This Episode:
- Kendra’s blog + podcast, The Lazy Genius Collective
- Kendra on Instagram
- Tsh (me) on Instagram and Twitter
- The Lazy Genius Summer Survival Guide
- Maker vs. Manager’s Schedule
- Deep Work, by Cal Newport
- Looping for task management at home
- LITERARY LONDON!
- Women’s Work, my other podcast
- Become a patron: Support this podcast + get access to The WRLD at Home!
- For any links and codes from our lovely sponsors, head here
Share This Episode:
Become a Patron!
When you do, you'll also get Tsh's secret weekly show on how to explore the world without leaving your house.
Get the Weekly Email
Tsh will send you her short email, 5 Quick Things, so you'll know whenever a new episode drops (it can be read in under a minute, pinky-swear):