Ep. 131: Grown-Upping the Summer (2/4)
Continuing our series on grown-upping the summer, this time Kendra and I talk about work. Because sure, it’s summer, but also, we’re adults with jobs and stuff.
As self-employed types, we talk about how we get work done with kids in the house — hers are a bit younger, so she shares juggling toddlers and young school-age kiddos, while my oldest is now 13 and I can attest: it makes allllll the difference now in my own work life.
Basically, what I’m saying to the working parents with tinies at home is: before you know it, it most likely will get easier. I’ve been exactly where you are and thought it’d never happen.
It’s still a challenge for me, though, so I share how expectations make or break me when it comes to getting work done in the summer. Plus, there’s a newer pressure I didn’t feel a few years ago when everyone was smaller:
I’ll blink, and kids will start leaving the house. So family-bonded summers actually feel more important than ever right now.
Links From This Episode:
- Kendra’s blog + podcast, The Lazy Genius Collective
- Kendra on Instagram
- Tsh (me) on Instagram and Twitter
- The Lazy Genius Summer Survival Guide
- Maker vs. Manager’s Schedule
- Deep Work, by Cal Newport
- Looping for task management at home
- LITERARY LONDON!
- Women’s Work, my other podcast
- Become a patron: Support this podcast + get access to The WRLD at Home!
- For any links and codes from our lovely sponsors, head here
Become a Patron!
When you do, you'll also get Tsh's patron-only show, The WRLD at Home.
Never miss an episode!
Get the weekly email,
5 Quick Things:
You'll always know when new episodes drop.
(It can be read in under a minute.)