Ep. #13: The Social Media Time Suck
Welcome to the first in our series for the podcast called Ask Tsh, where you’re invited to ask me anything related to simple living. I’m not an expert, but for eight years I’ve been in the thick of personal exploration and experience in my journey towards simplicity, and I’ve learned a thing or two along the way. I’m happy to share the journey with you.
This episode’s question was chosen because it was asked by lots of you—so I thought it’d be a great way to kick off the series. How do I handle the social media crazy? Specifically, the time suck and noise, which seems especially true on Facebook.
Scroll down to find the episode, or subscribe on iTunes and you’ll never miss a new one.
1. Follow the fun. Don’t try to “be everywhere.” I think it’s unrealistic, unhealthy advice.
2. Do a time inventory for a week. Think about how you want to spend your time, not how you actually do. (Timely is a useful digital tool, but pen and paper are just as great.)
3. The ‘Unfollow’ button is your friend.
Note: In the episode, I say ‘gear button’ to the right of your name, but I should have said ‘down arrow button.’ Oops. Same idea, though.
4. Prioritize your Facebook’s News Feed Preferences. Here’s what I’m talking about in the episode:
5. Close the screen an hour before bed.
6. Have a weekly screen-free day.
7. Remove any apps you don’t use within two weeks.
(If you’re reading this via email, head here to listen to the episode.)
Want your question pushed to the front of the queue? Sign up for my newsletter, and tell me you’re a newsletter reader in your question! I love hearing from you.
And again, head here to ask your question for future episodes of Ask Tsh.
Share This Episode:
Become a Patron!
When you do, you'll also get Tsh's secret weekly show on how to explore the world without leaving your house.
Get the Weekly Email
Tsh will send you her short email, 5 Quick Things, so you'll know whenever a new episode drops (it can be read in under a minute, pinky-swear):