Guest Post Guidelines
Please note: The Art of Simple is not currently accepting unsolicited guest posts at this time. Thank you for your interest!
If you have prearranged with someone to submit a guest post, following are guidelines to know in advance, before you submit your post. Thanks!
You’ll send your post submission to Caroline at email@example.com at least one week before your publication date (if one has been prearranged). If you have any questions about topic ideas or overall tone for your post, Caroline’s your gal—shoot her an email and she’ll be happy to discuss.
10 Things to Know Before you Submit Something
1. We’re about storytelling—sharing what we’re learning in our own lives. Posts should come from personal experience. The best ones tell a story about something that happened, or is happening, to you personally. (In other words: we’re not preachy.)
2. Capture the readers with a hook story at the beginning.
3. Post length should be approximately 300 – 900 words.
4. Guest posts must fit into one of the categories represented on AoS. (Toggle the topics in the navbar.)
5. The tone of your post should informal and friendly (like a friend who wants to chat over a drink).
6. We still care about quality writing, though.
7. Keep in mind that our readers come from a variety of perspectives, faiths, worldviews, and backgrounds.
8. Links back to your own blog or site should be modest and fit the content of your post.
9. The word “use” is always better than the word “utilize.”
10. Posts end with a brief author’s bio that links to the site (or sites) of your choice. The bio photo is pulled from your registered email at Gravatar. Please include a 1-2 sentence bio with your guest post submission.
If the thought of providing accompanying photos makes you break out in hives, we’re happy to do that job for you.
• Posts begin with a “banner” photo 820 pixels wide and not more than 380 pixels tall. We can crop the photo as needed, but please make sure the photo you submit is at least 820 pixels wide for full clarity, and please let us know in your submission which photo you’d like as your banner photo. If you don’t have one, we’ll happily provide one for the post.
• Remaining photos in a post are 700 pixels wide. Please make sure these submitted photos are at least this wide.
• All photos must be credited with an appropriate source, and must be legal to use. Be sure you include the hyperlink to the photo source so we know where to credit it (though we prefer high-quality photos of your own). Multiple photos are great if your article is longer.
• We reserve the right to edit your submission for brevity, grammar, readability, and sometimes for meaning. If too much editing is required to make the post useful, chances are low that it will be published.
• You retain the copyright to your writing, but once it’s submitted to Simple Living Media (us), we reserve the right to use and refer to it.
• We may need to change your photo selections if we don’t feel like they best fit your post or the overall values of AoS. We’ll do our best to let you know of this in advance.
• Please send your post as text within an email (not as an attached document, in other words), and attach all photos you’d like to use (don’t forget to include any photo information you’d like us to have, such as a particular order of photos, or if they need to be credited to an outside source).
Again, send your post submission to Caroline at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week before your publication date (if one has been prearranged).
Thanks again for your submission! Happy to be working with you.