So I was thinking of skipping the spring cleaning series we’ve done around here the past three years. I passively asked you all on Facebook whether you’d still be interested in it, honestly thinking there’d only be a few raised hands.
Well, that goes to show how much I know, because well over 300 of you shouted with a resounding YES! So… let’s spring clean together, shall we?
This year’s is going to be a little different, but all in good ways. The changes are partly for my own sanity, but also because I want this series to springboard us into action for other parts of our life. I don’t want it to drain us—I want it to get us excited for the spring, and to help us see our home for what it is—a gift.
Here’s how it’s going to work.
Project: Simplify—March 5-30, 2012
For four Mondays, I’ll say “go,” and we’ll all tackle a specific hot spot in our homes. Then on Friday, I’ll share my own progress with before and after photos—and you will, too. You can share on your own blog and then link to it on my post.
(If you don’t have a blog, we’ll have a way for you to upload your before and after pics. I’m still working on that part—last year we made a Flickr pool, but this year I’d like to make it even easier for you. One way will be on Instagram, if you’re there—you can simply upload your photos and include that week’s tag. More on that soon…)
Everyone who participates that week will be entered to win a little prize. But heck, even if you don’t win, you still get a cleaner, more decluttered home. Who wouldn’t want that?
I cover a ten-step process of decluttering, cleaning, and organizing your home in my book Organized Simplicity. Lots of people used it during Project: Simplify last year for encouragement and inspiration. You don’t have to, of course, but you know, if you wanted to, that’d be fine by me.
A few differences this year…
• We’re tackling four hot spots this year, not five.
• I’ll leave each week’s link-up open through Sunday at 11:59 p.m. Lots of you worked on your hot spots on the weekends, which makes total sense. So now, when I reveal my before and afters on Friday, you’re free to share your results anytime between Friday morning and Sunday night. I won’t draw for a winner until Monday morning. Huzzah!
• I’m revealing the hot spots in advance. It was fun to pull back the curtain each Monday last year, but there were so many comments that resonated with a, “Nuts! I just tackled that area two weeks ago!” that I figured I’d spill the beans ahead of time, so that you can plan.
This year’s hot spots
I asked you all on Facebook which areas you’d like to tackle most. Without further adieu, here’s this year’s to-do list:
- Week of March 5: Kids’ stuff—toys, clothes, and the like
- Week of March 12: Kitchen and/or pantry
- Week of March 19: Closets, countertops, and drawers (oh my)
- Week of March 26: Choose your own adventure—you pick your most-needed hot spot
You can interpret each hot spot for how it works best for you. If it feels overwhelming to tackle all your kids’ rooms, just do one kid. Or just do their clothes. For our third hot spot, feel free to focus on just one or two drawers, or only the closets, of whatever. I’m flexible.
Spread the word
Help spread the word about Project: Simplify! Pin this post on Pinterest, announce your participation on Facebook, and if you want, add this button to your blog (to change the size, simply adjust the width size—shown here as 300:
Why? Well, because with Project: Simplify, the more, the merrier. And it’ll also keep you accountable to participating. I hope you’re excited… I am.
Tell me what you think! Oh, and also—any ideas on how you non-bloggers would like to share your photos?