Time for a book chat, where we discuss two books we’ve recently read…. In this episode, co-host Haley Stewart and I talk about two easier reads—one that could go in the beach-read genre; the other is middle-grade fiction.
Haley tells me about The Eyre Affair, a science fiction-y book that involves great literature (it’s basically a beach read for literary nerds), and I tell her about Wonder, a novel recommended to me by my kids that I can’t stop thinking about.
Naturally, the conversation moves into the great Jane Eyre, movie versions, ableism, and how to talk to kids about hard stuff.
Listen in here:
Links for this episode:
- Haley’s blog, Carrots for Michelmas
- Haley’s podcast, Fountains of Carrots
- Haley on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Tsh on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
- Pre-order At Home in the World!
- The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde
- Episode 55, where Haley talks about the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series
- Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte
- Jane Eyre on audio
- Jane Eyre movies and miniseries: directed by Franco Zeffirelli, with Michael Fasbender, with Toby Stephens
- Wonder, by R.J. Palacio
- Wonder book trailer
- Addy, in the American Girl series
- What is #Trypod?
- Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast
- Word on Fire podcast
- NPR Politics podcast
- Sorta Awesome podcast
- The Sorta Awesome episode where I talk with Megan about Hamilton
Big thanks to this episode’s sponsor, Casper, a company that’s made an obsessively engineered mattress at a shockingly fair price. Get $50 towards any mattress purchase—head here and use the code SIMPLE.